Healthy Class Cooking
Try these simple recipes to excite the ‘tastebuds’ in your classroom. Just alter the amount and type of fresh ingredients to best suit the season and your classroom numbers.
A selection of mixed dried fruits (e.g. apples, peaches, dates, apricots, sultanas), popping corn, unsalted nuts (optional)
- Chop dried fruits.
- Pop corn following packet directions.
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Serve in paper cones or cups as a healthy snack.
Frozen Fruity Treats
Chopped berries (strawberries or raspberries), bananas, crushed pineapple, orange juice concentrate, water, cups suitable to freeze.
- Mix orange juice following packet directions but using half the amount of water.
- Chop fruit into small chunks.
- Mix all ingredients in a large container.
- Pour into cups and partially freeze.
Frozen Choc Bananas
Bananas, chocolate Ice Magic™, crushed nuts, popsticks
- Peel bananas.
- Gently push popsticks into the end of each banana.
- Dip the end of the banana into the chocolate Ice Magic™ and roll in crushed nuts.
- Lie on a flat tray and freeze.
Fresh fruit (e.g. bananas, berries, pineapple, apple, peaches, kiwifruit), vanilla yoghurt, sliced almonds (optional), clear plastic cups.
- Chop fresh fruit into small chunks.
- Layer cups with fresh fruit and yoghurt. Repeat the layers, ending with a sprinkle of nuts.
Fruit Jelly Cups
Flavoured jelly, chopped fresh or tinned fruit, ice-cream cone ‘cups’, yoghurt (optional)
- Chop fruit into small chunks or drain tinned fruit.
- Mix the jelly according to directions.
- Gently add fruit and stir.
- Set in fridge.
- Chop jelly into cubes or cut roughly with a fork.
- Pile jelly into ice-cream cone cups.
- Add a scoop of yoghurt or ice-cream if desired.
English muffin halves or flat pitta bread, tomato paste, grated low-fat cheese, and assortment of toppings of choice (e.g. mushroom, ham, pineapple (crushed or chunks), onion, tomato, chicken, capsicum)
- Preheat grill.
- Spread tomato paste over the bread bases of choice.
- Sprinkle with toppings of choice.
- Top with grated cheese.
- Place under grill for 10 – 15 minutes or until cheese has melted.
Bugs on a Log
Celery sticks (cut to suitable size), cream cheese, peanut paste, sultanas
- Spread either cream cheese or peanut paste in the celery.
- Add sultanas as ‘Bugs on a Log’!
berries (strawberries, raspberries) or bananas or mangoes, vanilla yoghurt, honey (to taste), milk
- Choose a fruit or mix different fresh fruits and combine with other ingredients into a food processor or blender.
- Blend on high for about one minute.
- Pour into glasses and drink straight away.